Shop Amazon.com

Search This Blog

Monday, June 28, 2010

The Job Search

I remember in the early to mid 1990s job searching involved walking into wherever it was I wanted to work, talking to the manager for a few minutes, and *poof* I had a job. Jobs were plentiful. Today is a different story. The job market is at a low, especially in non-metropolitan areas. I have an Associates of Arts in Business and am in my final year for a Bachelors in Organizational Security & Management and I'm working in a just-over-minimum wage job. Part-time. At a tobacco retailer. *sigh*

Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for the job I have. My part-time no-chance-for-advancement position within a family owned business (I am not part of the family, btw...) is more than many people have right now in my area, and in the United States. I am glad to have a paycheck. Unfortunately, my current paycheck isn't enough.

A year ago I was only applying for positions in my immediate area, i.e. within 10 miles. I went through a couple months where I was applying to any point south of Indiana...Missouri, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee. Then my 13 year old son made it absolutely clear that my life would be more of a living hell if I move him away from here right now than it would be if I stay through another winter. Major relocation? Out, for the time being *sigh*. At this point I am applying for anything that is a reasonable fit for my interests, experience, and education within an hour and a half drive.

So, today was a typical Monday. I got up, got online, and started at Monster.com. Two resumes sent to reasonably fitting positions within an hours drive from home. Next stop, CareerBuilder.com. Seven resumes sent....five of them were for positions I feel I am qualified for. Never hurts to stretch oneself, right? Final job hunting stop of the day was the nearest decent newspaper. I found three more ads to respond to there, two of which I am qualified for. 12 resumes sent, nine of which I believe are reasonably fitting. Not a bad Monday, I suppose.

Now I wait...and hope that someone is suitably impressed enough by my attributes, education, experience, and writing ability to call me in for an interview. There was a position for Internet Marketing at a Motorcycle retailer that I think I would love. A mix of business, sales, marketing, and management; the position would also allow me to expand the organization's advertising and marketing endeavors to include social media, an outlet that I think many organizations overlook. Considering I have my Mx endorsement, did a partial rebuild on a 1982 Kawi, have a retail background, management experience, college level training in marketing and business, and have proven success as a salesperson I am sure I am qualified and I think the organization would be lucky to have me.

No comments:

Post a Comment